------art_47066_11682581.1171421068004

On 2/10/07, ara.t.howard / noaa.gov <ara.t.howard / noaa.gov> wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
> > Besides, I wanted something which works for *any* routine which
> > takes a code-block, not just objects of type Array.  How could you
> > make that work for the each_pair method of Hash objects?
>
> this pattern will work with most nearly any method
>
>    harp:~ > cat a.rb
>    require 'thread'
>
>    argv  w( -v 4 -l log foobar )
>
>    q  izedQueue.new 1
>    done  bject.new.freeze
>    t  hread.new{ argv.each{|arg| q.push arg}; q.push done }

Hmm.  Well, I'm not used to even thinking of threads unless I'm doing
some kind of classic parallel processing problem (and I almost never
need to do those!), but I can see how that tactic could do the job
as a solution.

I'll have to think about this and some of the other solutions offered, and
see what "feels right" for what I'd like to do.  (whatever that means!)
Thanks for the ideas.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn                 drosihn / gmail.com
Senior Systems Programmer

------art_47066_11682581.1171421068004--