Yes, the free compiler is an excellent point.

Curt

-----Original Message-----
From: dave / thomases.com [mailto:dave / thomases.com]On Behalf Of Dave
Thomas
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 6:26 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: [ruby-talk:23901] Re: New RubyGarden Poll: Windows support

"Curt Hibbs" <curt / hibbs.com> writes:

> What would MinGW buy us over straight MSVC? Since MinGW ultimately uses
the
> MSVC runtime, doesn't this just mean an extrat layer of overhead? Plus we
> would be limited to whatever api support MinGW happenned to pass through.

Well - the compiler is free... :)

OK - say we used MSVC to build it. Would folks with access only to
MinGW be able to compile their own extensions?

And is it true that there's no difference in runtime functionality
between the MSVC and MinGW versions? I have to admit I thought that
MinGW added something to the mix, but I know nothing about Windows.

Dave