On 2/13/07, Giles Bowkett <gilesb / gmail.com> wrote:
> > 42nd law of the dynamics of language discussion:
> >   All discussions eventually orbit O?Caml!
>
> The same publisher that released "Practical Common Lisp" recently
> released "Practical OCaml." I've been wondering ever since I
> discovered this whether it means OCaml has gradually become more
> useful in a pragmatic sense, or if it simply represents one isolated
> individual publisher with a very unusual definition of "practical."

I think much of the recent interest is due to a lot of big OSS projects
taking interest in it. Possibly the Mozilla group. Its the fusion of ideas
that is most interesting:
* C-like nativeness, performance and compile-to-everything
* Memory management and runtime integrity with the implied security
that entails - features normally associated with Java
* Dynamic language benefits, like low-LOCs and implied maintenance
reduction, type inference and lots of funky language-isms that I don't really
understand, that all the cool kids are into

It has the potential to carve out a significant niche for itself. Sure if you
are intimidated by new languages look elsewhere, if you need the
'reassurance' of a corporate sponsor you won't find it here either, but
it has a lot of potential in the open source field, and anywhere really
that you need portable cross compilation.

Mind you, in this day and age when its getting hard to make Win 32
code that runs on windows anymore, theres opportunities there too.