On 2/13/07, Pea, Botp <botp / delmonte-phil.com> wrote:> fr: Ilmari Heikkinen [mailto:ilmari.heikkinen / gmail.com]> # You can do fun stuff like> # http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/irkheikk/fireworks2.7.html with it </plug>> # [1] http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Drawing_Graphics_with_Canvas>> wow, that is very cool.
Canvas works pretty nicely for making flashy HTML GUIs, here'sa small proof-of-concept http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/irkheikk/login2.html
> is it possible to make javascript+css+html as the builtin gui of choice for> ruby (besides tk)? maybe, create wrappers in ruby to output> html/javascript/css complete with menus/bars/trees/widgets/etc.
What's needed: a bunch of ajaxy widgets for html - the web is full ofready-made ones - and a webrick server to provide auth andserver-side parts of the app. For drawing, canvas and SVG are ok,for audio you'd need some flash parts[1], 3D stuff, uh, may be hard.And a DSL for Ruby for constructing these apps with less troublethan it takes to write the thing in html + js.
I'd design a bunch of simple apps first, extract their requirements,find or build the components for those, do { write the apps, extractAPI } a couple times to get the API right. A slideshow / photo editor,music player, file manager, notes app, spreadsheet + graph drawershould be a pretty comprehensive list.
[1] http://www.schillmania.com/projects/soundmanager2/