On 2/13/07, SonOfLilit <sonoflilit / gmail.com> wrote:
> Any advantage to Euphoria over Ruby?
>
> Having pass-by-value and copy-on-write seems like the only interesting bit
> to me.
>
> Is there any reason at all for a Rubyist to learn it?

None that I can see - it looks like a less powerful language, overall,
and as I said, it'll take a *lot* for me personally to learn a new
language that lacks proper lexical closures (the only one I'm even
considering is D). On the other hand, it seems like a better successor
to QBasic than either Ruby, Python or Scheme, or even the various VB
clones, so as a first language it might get someone to the fun bits
faster. I'd say the difference is that Ruby makes programming fun,
whereas Euphoria makes getting a computer to do things fun.

martin