http://www.rubyonrails.org/ is a web framework (sort of like PHP) that
is powered by Ruby.  It runs sites like 43things and Amazon's UnSpun.
It's a pretty hot topic in the web development world right now.

You can develop GUI applications with Ruby, web services, middleware,
or pretty much anything you can do with most other languages.  Perhaps
perusing www.rubyforge.org will give you a better idea of what Ruby
can do. :)

--Jeremy

P.S. - It's not a stupid question!