On 2/11/07, Luke <lbayes / gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to put together a general purpose "project templating
> engine" and I'd like to just package a directory full of project
> templates that get copied and rendered in ERB on demand. These
> templates often include empty directories that I can't seem to get
> packaged into my gem - no matter what I do.

Um. I'm not sure that's what you want to do. Why not consider
approaching this from a slightly different perspective? Make a .tar.gz
file that gets deployed with your other files and then use
Archive::Tar::Minitar to unpack it on the fly (Ruwiki does this) and
render with ERB as usual. Archive::Tar::Minitar can easily handle this
on both ends and you don't need to try to trick RubyGems.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca