Follow-up question for Chris, Wolfgang, and anyone else who has
experience in this matter.  Chris, you wrote above:

"Don't give up on Ruby on Windows so quickly.  I've been using it on
Windows for years, but maybe I just don't know what I'm missing..."

I was primarily interested in "mildly" testing Ruby cross-platform
claims something similar to Java (I come from the Java world) and Perl
(I am not a Perl programmer, though have a healthy respect for its
capabilities.  I do Bash and Ksh however).  Moreover, my interest in
Ruby is motivated by a desire to get up to speed in Ruby on Rails which
I intend to use do develop database driven web applications on
open-source platforms.  My question to you all is:  have you found a
good reason (or reasons) to use Ruby on Windows to do any real
commercial work?   Or is it because Windows is so all pervasive?  I
guess I am looking for some real-life examples of how Ruby is helping do
some heavy-lifting in the Windows world.  Just curious.
Bharat