The best way to learn any new lang(assuming you know the basics if,
else, while, for, for/in, switch) is to take on a HUGE project then do
it piece meal.

That way your developing not only your knowlege of the syntax your also
able to develop your understanding of

object oriented(OO) design,
MVC,
OO programming,
Agile development
Project Managment
Version control
etc.

That in mind I suggest you start a rails project that could (one day) go
industrial strength and build it in stages. Just keep adding features;
but only after the ones you have are working properly(don't be
microsoft).

By working in rails you'll be able to pick out some of the cool things
that ruby can do and ask how can I take advantage of that. (personally I
love method missing).

Just pick a project you can be passionate about.
Good Luck