> I was the one who dismissed Gentoo as a server OS. Let me
> point out that
> I have three workstations running Gentoo and it is my distro
> of choice
> for workstations. If you want, I'll hunt down the blog post on why
> Gentoo is not practical as a server OS except under some
> extremely rare
> circumstances. The main point is that it just takes too much
> wall clock
> time to do routine security and stability updates relative to
> Debian and
> Fedora/Red Hat/CentOS.

But again, the OP was after a machine to play around with things, not a
good business production environment - "I'm building a Linux VM inside
of my Windows box so I can experiment with setting up different
ruby/rails situations, configuring apache, trying out nginx, etc."

This isn't a production box, it's a play box... though I just noticed
that he said he's doing this in a VM... Ok, if you're going to be
running things inside a VM, probably spending all the time configuring,
compiling and tuning a gentoo box is not worth it. But if you're after a
play environment, Gentoo is great.

I don't think I'd want to run gentoo as my linux OS if my dollars or job
was on the line - probably less because I couldn't keep it secure and
stable and more that since it's not the 'safe' choice I'd be personally
responsible - but as my personal server and play machine, I wouldn't
dream of using anything else.

Dan.