On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 07:49:20AM +0900, Jerry Jones wrote:
> On my website, I have a field in the sql server that lists the image
> location/name to display for an item. All is wonderful. How can I have
> the site select an 'image is no available' image if the file name it
> is looking for does not exist?

By configuring your webserver appropriately. You don't even mention what
webserver you use, so you're not going to get a more specific answer than
that here.

However, as an example, if you are running Apache httpd then you can ask
this question on the Apache httpd mailing list.

> Right now, it is just showing the
> alternate text, which is the image file name it is looking for.
> Would it be a big hit on performance to have it check the images dir
> for the file name prior to rendering the page

Web servers don't render pages - web browsers do. Web servers response to
HTTP requests, and send back the HTML for the page. What the browser does
with it is its own responsibility.

If the HTML contains a reference to an image, a separate HTTP request is
made by the browser to retrieve the image. If the image doesn't exist (web
server returns 404 Not Found) then it's up to the browser what to do next.
Many display a "broken image" icon.

Brian.