Tarball:          http://prdownloads.sf.net/rubyvm/compressionr-0-1-0.tar.gz
Author:           Robert Feldt
Email:            feldt / ce.chalmers.se

What is it?
-----------
A module Compression with methods for compressing and decompressing a
string. Currently VERY simplistic just to add some compression to Ruby.

Uses miniLZO with one of the fastest decompressors. The compressor is
a bit worse than zlib/gzip but still good.

Why?
----
Compression is nice and fast decompression is often needed (for example in
RAA.succ/RubyGems ?!).

Installation?
-------------
1. unpack tarball (if you haven't already)
2. ruby extconf.rb
3. make
4. make install

Example of use?
---------------
	# Lets compress!
	require 'lzo'

	shorter_string = Compression.compress(longString)

	long_again = Compression.decompress(shorter_string)

Requirements?
-------------
Ruby and a c compiler.

NOTE THAT THIS IS AN ALPHA RELEASE SO THERE WILL LIKELY BE BUGS. And the
API
will probably change in future versions.

Documentation?
--------------
None yet.

License and legal issues?
-------------------------
CompressionR is

Copyright (c) 2001 Robert Feldt, feldt / ce.chalmers.se.
All rights reserved.

and is distributed under GPL. See LICENSE.

The files minilzo.c, minilzo.h, lzoconf.h are part of minLZO which is

 LZO and miniLZO are Copyright (C) 1996-2000
 Markus Franz Xaver Johannes Oberhumer

 LZO and miniLZO are distributed under the terms of the GNU General
 Public License (GPL).  See the file COPYING.

Acknowledgements?
Thanks to matz for Ruby.
Thanks to Markus Oberhumer for LZO.

Do you have comments or questions?
I'd appreciate if you drop me a note if you're successfully using
CompressionR. If there are some known users I'll be more motivated to
packing up additions / new versions and post them to RAA.

Happy coding!

Robert Feldt, feldt / ce.chalmers.se