Giles Bowkett wrote:
>> First of all Giles and Ken, thanks for your answers. It sounds like a
>> Bayesian approach won't work for what I want to do. This same gem has
>> another classifer inside it, called Classifier::LSI which does latent
>> semantic indexing. I don't know much about it yet other than it's not as
>> fast or as small as a Bayesian classifier. However, would it be more
>> suited to supporting a "none of the above" feature?
>>
>> Or would you recommend something entirely different?
>
> Well, a latent semantic indexer is a whole different thing. I know of
> a company that built a search engine with latent semantic analysis. If
> you search it for naked pictures of Britney Spears -- just as a stupid
> example -- it'll also ask you if you want to hear her music or if
> you're interested in naked pictures of Lindsay Lohan as well. Latent
> semantic indexers are a very smart technology but I think they require
> **extremely** large data sets to be useful. They compare patterns of
> linkage to identify things which must have some latent semantic
> connection, that is to say, words that are different but mean similar
> things. There are very few problems for which latent semantic analysis
> **isn't** overkill.

Well, within the not-too-distant future, we'll be handling a sizable
dataset so LSI might make sense after all. This would be for a system
we're building that's doing something quite cool but I can't shout all
the details from the rooftops just yet :) Would it be all right for me
to give you specifics via email? I'd be happy to edit the Ruby-germane
portions of our offline conversation and post them back onto the forum.
My email is jason at seethroo dot us.

Again, many thanks!
-Jason