------art_497_23223239.1170730343302

On 2/5/07, Samantha <rubygeekgirl / gmail.com> wrote:

> So, I ask you, the gurus... Where do I start?  This feels like a
> writer's block and I'm sick of reading.  I want to start *doing*
>
> I have the IDEs installed, I have Ruby installed on my Gentoo Linux
> box...

Samantha,

Welcome to Ruby!! You'll find one of the finest developer communities I've
even known. So when you get stuck, feel free to drop an email on the wire,
there seems to always be someone out there to help.

Gentoo Linux, that's a beautiful way to go!! Makes installing and upgrading
really wonderful! Good choice!

Think of a project you would like to do and then see how you can tackle it
with Ruby. If you are wanting to build web applications then you have many
choices in Ruby, the most popular being Rails. For me Ruby and Rails brings
all of the fun back into web application development after having done
things the hard way for so long (C++, Java, ...)  :-)

There are some great books out there, so check some of them out and you just
might come up with a bunch of ideas.

--
Jeff Barczewski, MasterView core team
Inspired Horizons Ruby on Rails Training and Consultancy

------art_497_23223239.1170730343302--