Nicolas Despr├Ęs wrote:
> On 2/4/07, Nicolas Desprs <nicolas.despres / gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Make Install runs through a heap of stuff nicely but then stumbles on
>> > this:
>> >
> [...]
>> >
>> > Has anyone else came across this error?
>> >

>> Yes.
>>
>> .ext is not created during the make process of ruby-1.8.5-p12 as it
>> does with ruby-1.8.4. Actually, I don't understand why...
>>

> I found why .ext is not created.
>
> If you do:
>
> ./configure && make
>
> then it is created, but if you do:
>
> ./configure && make test
>
> it is not created.
>
> So, you must do:
>
> ./configure && make && make test && make install
>
> as stated by the README file.
>
> I'm surprised by this behavior since generally the test rule depends
> on the "build" rule.
>
> Cheers,

Thanks Nicolas... that seems to work for me... though now "make install"
stops at this line:

cp -r ./.ext/. /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8

Does this mean ruby 1.8.5 was installed successfuly, I thought it would
comment if it was installed successfuly. Or does this indicate another
problem?

When I type:
 >>ruby --version

It still prints out: 1.8.1.

I have also noticed I have 3 ruby directories:

/sw/lib/ruby/1.8
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8

The first directory (/sw/lib/ruby/1.8) I think is the original(1.8.1)
because I remeber seeing it there before attempting to install version
1.8.5. I know that the last directory (usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8) is the
new one which was created when attempting to install 1.8.5 and I am not
sure about the second directory (/usr/lib/ruby/1.8), wether it is new or
old.

Anyways, I am making a bit of progress now and thanks a lot for all your
help so far.

ZaneV