On Feb 2, 2:02 pm, Mauricio Fernandez <m... / acm.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 01:45:08AM +0900, bbiker wrote:
> > I have downloaded and install fastri from the tarball.
>
> > Works fine and I qri eventhough it is slower than fri ... reason I
> > don't to keep the fastri-server window reduced or otherwise.
>
> You can also run fastri-server as a win32 service (IIRC the gem is named
> "ruby-services").

I had download the ruby-services gem as a tarball ... fastrictl used
to work fine before
I upgraded to: ruby 1.8.5 (2006-12-25 patchlevel 12) [i386-mswin32]

I do not have any problem with gemctl ... it working fine with latest
ruby.
I have not tried webrickctl ... since I don't need for now.

First attempt to start after bootup:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>fastrictl -s
C:/ruby/bin/fastrictl.rb:68:in `start': The service did not respond to
the start or c
ontrol request in a timely fashion. (Win32::ServiceError)
        from C:/ruby/bin/fastrictl.rb:68

Subsequent attempts fastrictl gets itself in an endless loop

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>fastrictl -s
One moment, start pending
One moment, stopped
One moment, stopped
One moment, stopped
One moment, stopped
One moment, stopped
C:/ruby/bin/fastrictl.rb:75:in `sleep': Interrupt
        from C:/ruby/bin/fastrictl.rb:75

> > Fastri-server does seem to have problem with some gem packages.
>
> > Here's the scenario
>
> > I gem install the watir  then I execute fastri-server -B so that fri
> > and qri know about watir.
>
> Note that  fastri-server -B  is used to build the full-text index (which will
> be used when you do  fri -S someterm  --- qri behaves identically to fri in
> this case), so you probably meant  fastri-server -b.

No. I usually do  "fastri-server -B" after I install new gems.

For where I stand (ignorance), I thought that -B was more thorough job
than -b although
it takes longer to do the indexing. It also appears to rebuild the

It has not been made clear when one should one over the over

I do use "fri -S someterm" or "qri -S someterm" ,,, just "fri
someterm" or "qri someterm"

(just did "qri -S" ...  now I know ... will investigate to learn the
difference between
"qri someterm" and "qri -S someterm"

> > c:\ruby>fastri-server -B
> > -- snip --
> > Indexing RI docs for tidy version 1.1.2.
> > Indexing RI docs for watir version 1.4.1.
> > -- snip --
> > C:/ruby/bin/fastri-server.rb:71:
>
> > Now the above result does not look good but is not alarming
>
> Could you post the full backtrace info?
>

> > c:\ruby>fastri-server -B
> > -- snip --
> > Indexing RI docs for test-spec version 0.3.0.
> > Indexing RI docs for watir version 1.4.1.
> > -- snip --
>
> > C:/ruby/bin/fastri-server.rb:71: [BUG] Segmentation fault
> > ruby 1.8.5 (2006-12-25) [i386-mswin32]
> [...]
>
> > Now that is alarming response!!!!
>
> > If I now uninstall watir then fastri-server -B completes without any
> > problem.

Correction on the above. I reinstalled tidy and I now get the same
error.

> fastri-server.rb:71 is
>
>  70     Dir["#{path}/**/*.yaml"].each do |yamlfile|
>  71       yaml = File.read(yamlfile)
>  72       begin
>  73         data = YAML.load(yaml.gsub(/ \!.*/, ''))
>
> FastRI is pure-Ruby, so the interpreter should never segfault. As you can see,
> when generating a full-text index FastRI will unserialize lots of YAML data
> after some massaging. I believe the segfault is caused by a bug in syck.
>
> I wasn't able to reproduce the problem, but if you can isolate the yamlfile
> causing the segfault, ruby-core could help...
>

> --
> Mauricio Fernandez  -  http://eigenclass.org  -  singular Ruby

I     Dir["#{path}/**/*.yaml"].each do |yamlfile|
      puts "yamlfile #{yamlfile}"                           <-- added
this line to fastri-server.rb

ran fastri-server -B and guess what?  it did not fail!!!

okay ... reinstall  watir and reran fastri-server -B

obviously snipped a lot  ---

yamlfile c:/ruby/share/ri/1.8/system/Logger/LogDevice/new-c.yaml
yamlfile c:/ruby/share/ri/1.8/system/Logger/LogDevice/open_logfile-
i.yaml
yamlfile c:/ruby/share/ri/1.8/system/Logger/LogDevice/
previous_period_end-i.yaml
C:/ruby/bin/fastri-server.rb:72:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

will now uninstall tidy and see if we get a segmentation fault.

no failure.  ps this is the last file processed

yamlfile c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/doc/windows-pr-0.6.2/ri/Windows/
Window/GetWindowRect-i.yaml

uninstall watir  -- no failure with fastri-server -B

reinstall tidy  -- no failure with fastri-server -B

strange but at the start of my complying with your request .. I kept
getting the segmentation fault.

NOTE BUENE

I have just removed the "puts yamlfile #{yamlfile}"  line from fastri-
server.rb

fastri-server -B  terminates with:

C:/ruby/bin/fastri-server.rb:71: [BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-12-25) [i386-mswin32]

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
unusual way.