On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 01:45:08AM +0900, bbiker wrote:
> I have downloaded and install fastri from the tarball.
>
> Works fine and I qri eventhough it is slower than fri ... reason I
> don't to keep the fastri-server window reduced or otherwise.

You can also run fastri-server as a win32 service (IIRC the gem is named
"ruby-services").

> Fastri-server does seem to have problem with some gem packages.
>
> Here's the scenario
>
> I gem install the watir  then I execute fastri-server -B so that fri
> and qri know about watir.

Note that  fastri-server -B  is used to build the full-text index (which will
be used when you do  fri -S someterm  --- qri behaves identically to fri in
this case), so you probably meant  fastri-server -b.

> c:\ruby>fastri-server -B
> -- snip --
> Indexing RI docs for tidy version 1.1.2.
> Indexing RI docs for watir version 1.4.1.
> -- snip --
> C:/ruby/bin/fastri-server.rb:71:
>
> Now the above result does not look good but is not alarming

Could you post the full backtrace info?

> c:\ruby>fastri-server -B
> -- snip --
> Indexing RI docs for test-spec version 0.3.0.
> Indexing RI docs for watir version 1.4.1.
> -- snip --
>
> C:/ruby/bin/fastri-server.rb:71: [BUG] Segmentation fault
> ruby 1.8.5 (2006-12-25) [i386-mswin32]
[...]
> Now that is alarming response!!!!
>
> If I now uninstall watir then fastri-server -B completes without any
> problem.

fastri-server.rb:71 is

 70     Dir["#{path}/**/*.yaml"].each do |yamlfile|
 71       yaml = File.read(yamlfile)
 72       begin
 73         data = YAML.load(yaml.gsub(/ \!.*/, ''))

FastRI is pure-Ruby, so the interpreter should never segfault. As you can see,
when generating a full-text index FastRI will unserialize lots of YAML data
after some massaging. I believe the segfault is caused by a bug in syck.

I wasn't able to reproduce the problem, but if you can isolate the yamlfile
causing the segfault, ruby-core could help...