I have downloaded and install fastri from the tarball.

Works fine and I qri eventhough it is slower than fri ... reason I
don't to keep the fastri-server window reduced or otherwise.

Fastri-server does seem to have problem with some gem packages.

Here's the scenario

I gem install the watir  then I execute fastri-server -B so that fri
and qri know about watir.

c:\ruby>gem install watir
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
Successfully installed watir-1.4.1
Installing ri documentation for watir-1.4.1...
Installing RDoc documentation for watir-1.4.1...

c:\ruby>fastri-server -B
-- snip --
Indexing RI docs for tidy version 1.1.2.
Indexing RI docs for watir version 1.4.1.
-- snip --
C:/ruby/bin/fastri-server.rb:71:

Now the above result does not look good but is not alarming

Continuing the scenario ....

I uninstall another gem and the run fastri-server -B

c:\ruby>gem uninstall tidy
Successfully uninstalled tidy version 1.1.2

c:\ruby>fastri-server -B
-- snip --
Indexing RI docs for test-spec version 0.3.0.
Indexing RI docs for watir version 1.4.1.
-- snip --

C:/ruby/bin/fastri-server.rb:71: [BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-12-25) [i386-mswin32]

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
unusual way.

Now that is alarming response!!!!

If I now uninstall watir then fastri-server -B completes without any
problem.

Please note that watir is not the only gem that fastri-ri has problem
with...right now I cannot remember
which gem.