On 2/1/07, Paul Brannan <pbrannan / atdesk.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 08:35:08AM +0900, gga wrote:
> > What will work across platforms and OSes is this:
> >
> > #! /usr/bin/env ruby
>
> This will not work for platforms that put env in /bin or don't have /usr
> mounted.

Well, on many of my systems, if /usr is not mounted, then 'ruby' itself
is also not available!  :-)

I have a bigger concern with using /usr/bin/env for this. The
/usr/bin/env trick will only work if ruby *IS* in the PATH of the
person who is running the ruby script, and if that version of ruby is
the version expected by the script.  On many systems that is a safe
assumption, but it isn't always true.

Consider something like MacOS 10, for instance, where Apple
ships one version of ruby in /usr/bin, but many people will install a
newer version in /opt/local/bin.  I've had some scripts fail because
the user running them didn't have /opt/local/bin in their PATH.

(ie, I helped them install ruby into /opt/local/bin using macports,
but they didn't update their settings for PATH)

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =             drosihn / gmail.com
Senior Systems Programmer