I would agree with this, as this is one of the first books I used to
get started learning Ruby. These SAMS books are great. For learning
other progrmaming languages as well. Due to upcoming business
requirements I needed to delve into C# and found that SAMS book
helpful as well. They are quick reads, give you enough info to get
started, without overwhelming you with too much info and putting you
to sleep. Once you do get your feet wet with Ruby I would recommend
"The Ruby Way", which now has an updated second edition. The first
edition helped me understand how to best leverage Ruby by
understanding the whys more than the hows that I first understood.
Kind of like learning Smalltalk. It's an easy language to learn how to
do things. But to learn why to do things a certain way gets you more
productive and more in-tune with getting the most out of your time.