On 1/28/07, Thomas Hafner <thomas / hafner.nl.eu.org> wrote:
> "Austin Ziegler" <halostatue / gmail.com> wrote/schrieb <9e7db9110701271150i30ae8023h27dfcae386a3629e / mail.gmail.com>:
> > The simplest way to remember this is that variables in Ruby aren't
> > chunks of memory.
> Or: they are a chunk of memory, but the only kind of value they can
> contain is a reference to an object. A variable is not such an object,
> i.e. there are no references to variables.

It's better not to consider variables in Ruby as anything but a label
and as such *not* a chunk of memory. Chunks of memory suggest object
status or possibilities; this is not part of Ruby.

Your graphs are pretty close to correct. I have to finish some
articles talking about variables in Ruby and post them at some point.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca