------art_58484_1457362.1169925145497

On 1/27/07, Robert Dober <robert.dober / gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/27/07, dblack / wobblini.net <dblack / wobblini.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi--

> > > I agree. reference/value came from the world before talking about
> > objects. I
> > > remember in Algol60 somehow the wording "after 'integer i;' the
> > variable 'i
> > > IS an integer".
> > >
> > > We would never say that after writing "s = 'A Ruby String object'" the
> > > variable 's' IS a String object - it gives a name for a special String
> > > object, or references a special String object (see 1).
> >
> > There's also the distinction between references and immediate
> > values... though as Robert K. said, most of the differences are
> > hidden from the programmer (like, there's no extra level of
> > indirection you have to explicitly do).
> >
> > > Wolfgang NŠŇasi-Donner
> > >
> > > (1): This wording is is used from a German, who tries to find out the
> > best
> > > English word for what in German will be called "benennt", or
> > "bezeichnet". I
> > > don't know what wording is really good in English.
> >
> > I think "betoken" is probably the closest etymologically to
> > "bezeichnen", but it's more archaic-sounding.  "Designate" might be a
> > good match.  (This is why we end up doing things like using
> > "reference" as a verb :-)
>

> Designated is just fine, I do not know  the verb betoken.
>
> However I do not necessarily agree with the post, still thinking...
>
> Robert

Thinking period over ;)
In Ruby everything is passed by value, even Integers - or did I misread the
sources?
In that case my apologies Austin.
This is consistent with behavior as well as with implementation.
Is there any reason to tweak the meaning of "passing by reference" and
"passing by value" just because we use "reference"  more often of how vars
designate (ty Wolfgang) values (which happen to be objects).
"Passing by designation", if it makes things clearer, why not, but we would
talk a language only Rubyists can understand!

Cheers
Robert

--
> "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
> - Alan Kay

- Alan Kay

------art_58484_1457362.1169925145497--