---2049402039-757453356-11699180190289

Hi--

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007, Wolfgang NŠŇasi-Donner wrote:

> dblack / wobblini.net schrieb:
>
>> Right -- I take that as the starting point -- but what I mean is that
>> the way the assignment/rebinding semantics work doesn't necessarily
>> pertain to the reference/value question.
>
> I agree. reference/value came from the world before talking about objects. I
> remember in Algol60 somehow the wording "after 'integer i;' the variable 'i
> IS an integer".
>
> We would never say that after writing "s = 'A Ruby String object'" the
> variable 's' IS a String object - it gives a name for a special String
> object, or references a special String object (see 1).

There's also the distinction between references and immediate
values... though as Robert K. said, most of the differences are
hidden from the programmer (like, there's no extra level of
indirection you have to explicitly do).

> Wolfgang NŠŇasi-Donner
>
> (1): This wording is is used from a German, who tries to find out the best
> English word for what in German will be called "benennt", or "bezeichnet". I
> don't know what wording is really good in English.

I think "betoken" is probably the closest etymologically to
"bezeichnen", but it's more archaic-sounding.  "Designate" might be a
good match.  (This is why we end up doing things like using
"reference" as a verb :-)

David