Rather that try to configure everything separately which can be a little
difficult when first starting out, try the Instant Rails package at
http://rubyforge.org/projects/instantrails/ and make your life easier.
Not only will you be programming on day 1 instead of configuring, when
you are ready to make the jump and customize your installation (perhaps
to an updated Apache or MySQL version) you can look in the Instant Rails
'conf_files' directory and borrow whatever you need from a working
configuration.

I don't think that FreeRide isn't in the latest InstantRails
distribution so you may need to fetch it directly from
http://rubyforge.org/projects/freeride/ if you want it.

-Jim