Alex Young wrote:
> Peter Bailey wrote:
>>
>> This is driving me nuts. Why isn't the RUBY response "=>2?" There are
>> two "an" stubs in "banana."
> The number returned is the position of the start of match, not the
> number of them.
>
>> I thought that RUBY, like PERL, is inherently greedy and it would find
>> all instances of said regex expression.
> It is...  there's only one match, and it matches everything from the
> first 'a' to the end of the string.
>
> Hope this makes sense,

Thanks, Gentlemen. I'll watch my spelling of Ruby and Perl from now on.

I understand now that my match is only looking for the position. Cool.
Thanks. But, . . ., here's a similar regex where I don't want the
position, but I want to change all instances of the stub, and, it's only
changing the first one.

"banana".sub(/an/, "ze")
=> "bzeana"

What's with that?