In article <1169761184.295076.234450 / a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>, "Phrogz" <gavin / refinery.com> writes:
> On Jan 25, 12:43 pm, s... / signature.invalid (Douglas Wells) wrote:
> > notion (from .../doc/ruby18/ruby-man/syntax.html):
> >
> >     "If the - [is] placed before the delimiter, then all leading
> >     whitespcae [sic] characters (tabs or spaces) are stripped from
> >     input lines and the line containing [the] delimiter. This
> >     allows here-documents within scripts to be indented in a natural
> >     fashion."
>
> Where is this document that you're referring to? I just checked my
> (win32 installer) version of Ruby 1.8.5, and I have no document named
> 'syntax.html' anywhere in the tree of files.

It was installed on my local system (as part of the ports system
on FreeBSD).  A bit of spelunking shows that it is part of the
'ruby-man' port.  A bit more shows that it came as part of a tarball
named ruby-man-1.4.6.tar.gz, indicating that it might be a bit
long in the tooth.  Checking the page on my systems, I see that
it's fairly old, with the corresponding table of contents being
dated February 1998.

On the other hand, it appears to be the latest "Ruby reference
manual" that I can find.  A Google search for a "ruby reference
manual" leads to
http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ruby-doc-bundle/Manual/man-1.4/syntax.html#here_doc,
which does contain the quoted text that I posted.

 - dmw

--
.   Douglas Wells             .  Connection Technologies      .
.   Internet:  -sp9804- -at - contek.com-                     .