On Jan 25, 12:11 pm, "André˘ <andre.... / gmail.com> wrote:
> this post might sound strange, but after working with ruby for so long,
> I've been thinking about writing a ruby operating system. I've been
> thinking about doing my M.D. thesis about it, but I want to hear some
> of your opinions.

How are you defining an 'operating system'? The definitions I'm used to
involve managing all the low level aspects of the computer - hardware
interrupts, access to devices, memory allocation and management,
including virtual memory, etc.

Like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system

Given that the ruby interpretter itself relies on these things, I'd
think any Ruby-based operating system would be ... well, I don't know
what it would be. A ruby interpretter written in machine code that
handled all of this itself?

Do you mean a shell environment that accepts and uses Ruby code? Or the
"WebOS" term of a suite of applications covering all your daily needs,
all written in Ruby? Or truly an operating system?