Andrew Skegg wrote:
> I can verify this fix works - at least for me :)
>
> It seems command.rb (line 258) tries to set the configuration hash
> using:
>
>   "Gem.configuration[:http_proxy] = options[:http_proxy]"
>
> but there is no []= method to respond, so it spits the error.
> Interestingly, this is the only option that tries to set its value this
> way.
>
> Adding this is /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/config_file.rb
> (on my Mac) fixes the issue:
>
>   def []=(key,value)
>     @hash[key.to_s] = value
>   end
>
> I am probably not the best person to create a proper patch including
> tests (never really done it before), but I can post this to the website
> to capture it.

I added this as a bug actually (#8152).  This fix (to quote the
Practices of an Agile Developer book) just doesn't "feel" right.  I'd
guess that where it's being called from is using it incorrectly, but not
knowing the intentions for that class, it's just a feeling.

Andrew, I added what you found to the bug description.