Hello,

this post might sound strange, but after working with ruby for so long,
I've been thinking about writing a ruby operating system. I've been
thinking about doing my M.D. thesis about it, but I want to hear some
of your opinions.

First of all, the philosophical questions :-)

- Does it make any sense? (that is, does it sound useful?)
- It has been done before?

And then the technical stuff. I though about doing things this way:

1. Make the ruby VM run on bare metal. (that is, a ruby VM operating
system)
2. Make the standard ruby libraries
3. Make SO libraries

For step 1, the logical approach (for me) would be something like this:

1. Get the ruby source.
2. Write a replacement for every libc function ruby uses.
3. Compile ruby into a kernel and boot it.

Does this sound like a logic approach? Or there's any better way to do
it, or I should go for a different path here?

Thank you in advance,

Andr