On Jan 25, 8:10 am, "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <z... / cesmail.net> wrote:
> The folks at ActiveState have "freed the dragon". They used to have two
> versions of Komodo, a "personal edition" which was priced around $29 and
> was only for non-commercial use and had fewer features, and the fully
> featured version. With the release of Komodo 4.0, they decided to remove
> the non-commercial restriction and make the "Komodo Editor" free. Here's
> a feature comparison of what's in the two versions:
>
> Hi Chris-
>  >
>  > This is the sales page that highlights the major differences:
>  >http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_edit/edit_vs_ide.plex
>  >
>  > Here's a comparison matrix:
>  >
>  >  Feature/capability       IDE  Edit
>  >  ----------------------------------
>  >  Editor                                   *    *
>  >  Code intelligence              *    *
>  >  Debugger                            *
>  >  Interactive Shells             *
>  >  Project manager               *    *
>  >  Toolbox                               *    *
>  >  HTTP Inspector               *
>  >  DOM Viewer                    *
>  >  Rx Toolkit                          *
>  >  Code Browser                  *
>  >  SCC                                    *
>  >  PDK integration               *
>
> So this is another entry in the "Ruby IDE" category. I still think I'm
> going to go with KDevelop over Komodo because of its ability to handle
> compiled languages and it's freedom, but I'm going to have a hard look
> at the free Komodo editor at work, where I have quite a bit of Perl code
> that I might want to port to Ruby.

I like the Komodo editor, especially now that it has vi bindings. The
debugger got me through several painful sessions of porting
Spreadsheet::WriteExcel to Ruby. My main gripe is the goofball project
management and "virtual" directories.

I'd rather just have an Eclipse style setup, i.e. a base directory
where all projects live, and your project's folders and files live on
the filesystem under that base directory.

Dan