I need to make remote procedure calls to a server that has a
non-standard RPC protocol. It's basically RPC but with extra types, no
required message length declaration and it's all done over ssl. I have a
working version in perl but I'd prefer a solution in ruby. Below is what
I have so far with most of the XML removed for brevity.

require 'rubygems'
require 'http-access2'
client = HTTPAccess2::Client.new()
client.ssl_config.verify_mode = nil

body = <<ENDXML
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<transaction>
  <methodCall>
  ...blah blah...
  </methodCall>
</transaction>
ENDXML
resp = client.post("https://api.ultradns.net:8755",body)

Whenever I try to talk to the server it always replies that I have a
malformed POST. I'm using http-access2; someone packaged it as a gem but
its not in the official repository. I'd like to know:

1) Is there a better way of doing all of this? (something other than
http-access2)
2) Is there something obviously wrong with the above code? Keep in mind
the XML part is verified in a working perl script.

Thanks!