It's being called from an attempt to connect to an FTP site.  So, it's
not really an out of data per se, but a failure to connect.

Of course, the implementation may result in that failure causing no
data to be available - but it would be a lot clearer if it would a) let
me know that it didn't connect and b) forward on the OS socket level
error.

Or am I missing something?  If the connection did work, but the host
just didn't send any data (ie, broken FTP implementation), it's weird
that several people are reporting it - and that it doesn't seem to
occur outside of ftp.rb. (ie with other languages).