What I'd like to do with this, however, is to be able to return the
output of the transform directly to the browser, which would imply that
I would need to be able to grab output from a
javax.xml.transform.stream.StreamResult object and stream it back to the
browser.  That way I don't have to generate an output file which I'm
just going to send back to the browser anyway.

But what would be the best way to connect a Java stream to a Ruby IO
object?  Seems like I would have to have some mediator between the two
that would shuttle the data off the Java IO object onto the Ruby one.

Make sense?

Wes