ara.t.how... / noaa.gov wrote:
> can you ftp to the host using the command line 'ftp' program of either windows
> or linux?

Yes!  Sorry for not stating that.  This is a pure ruby issue - ftp in
general works fine in all situations.  Also, even with Ruby, this bug
does not happen 100% of the time.  (I haven't tested enough to know
what determines it, but I do know that even for the same (host, user,
pw) it will sometimes work and sometimes not.)

I should add that the app in question makes a large number of ftp
connections to the host, one after the other.  (I don't think it caches
them.)  Perhaps that is somehow related...