Thanks for your reply, but that directive was already in the make
execution ...

 [root@localhost mod_fastcgi-SNAP-0404142202]# cp Makefile.AP2 Makefile
[root@localhost mod_fastcgi-SNAP-0404142202]# make
/usr/lib/apr-1/build/libtool --silent --mode=compile gcc -pthread
-DLINUX=2 -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
-I/usr/local/apache2/include -I. -I/usr/include/apr-1 -I/usr/include
-I/usr/kerberos/include -prefer-pic -c mod_fastcgi.c && touch
mod_fastcgi.slo

(I just cut and paste the first few lines from my original post).  -
Dave