> > The one-click installer isn't the 'main distribution' for Ruby. It
> is an independent project put together by a volunteer.

Then Ruby has a serious perception issue it needs to be addressed. The
one-click installer is the very first entry listed under "Windows", is
described as "the best option for you", and has no mention that some of
the components are no longer being maintained.

> Maybe I'm reading too much into your comments but it seems like you have
> some unfounded expectations going into this endeavor.  That is a good
> way to get disappointed.

No, you are not reading too much into it. And the deeper I dig into
this, the more I'm disappointed.

In order to use tech like Ruby in a production setting, I need to know
that the software is "supported". To me that means that someone is
still comitted to maintaining the product and that when something goes
wrong, someone is willing to fix it.

That isn't the case with FX Ruby 1.2, even though it is only a couple
of years old. And I suspect there is some serious problems with the FX
Ruby team's philosophy, as it appears that it isn't an easy upgrade to
the current version. Of course, it may be the FreeRIDE team which has
the problem, I don't know.

If you guys want to be taken seriously by the business world, there is
a certain level of quality that needs to be reached. That includes
having reasonable control over the distributions on your own home page
and clear indication about what is being maintained and what isn't.

Now maybe that isn't your goal, which is fine. There is no shame in
targeting hobbyists. But the quality of work and attention to detail in
other areas suggests otherwise.

Jonathan