On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 07:45 +0900, laredotornado / zipmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install the latest version of Ruby to work with a
> just-newly installed Apache 2.2 module on my x86 Fedora Core 5 Linux
> machine.  I read
> (http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/RailsOnFedora) that
> mod_fastcgi is required, but when I download, copy the appropriate
> Makefile and try to make, I get errors (see below if you're really
> interested).  I also notice that the latest version of mod_fastcgi is
> dated 2004.  Is this truly required or can I skip this step?
>
> Thanks, - Dave
>

> ======BEGIN PERILOUS ERROR REPORT===============
> [root@localhost mod_fastcgi-SNAP-0404142202]# cp Makefile.AP2 Makefile
> [root@localhost mod_fastcgi-SNAP-0404142202]# make
> /usr/lib/apr-1/build/libtool --silent --mode=compile gcc -pthread
> -DLINUX=2 -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
> -I/usr/local/apache2/include -I. -I/usr/include/apr-1 -I/usr/include
> -I/usr/kerberos/include -prefer-pic -c mod_fastcgi.c && touch
> mod_fastcgi.slo
> mod_fastcgi.c: In function 'init_module':
> mod_fastcgi.c:271: error: 'ap_null_cleanup' undeclared (first use in
> this function)
> mod_fastcgi.c:271: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
> once

mod_fastcgi isn't *strictly* needed, but it is worth the speedup.  You
can use CGI instead, but not meant for production usage. There are other
options such as lightppd, mongrel, etc, but I'll let others with more
experience in that area address that.

I on the otherhand do us mod_fastcgi on an apache 2.0 system for
production and I also use an apache 2.2 system as my local testing
system (and Webrick occasionally too)

Now as to your error, try adding the following to your make file:

-D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE

I don't know the entire story on this other than there is a 64/32 bit
issue with the size of a datatype in C that is referenced in the apr.h
file.  I could be wrong on the fix, but it looks like the same one I was
getting for a different project.