On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Dave Thomas wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2007, at 11:04 AM, ara.t.howard / noaa.gov wrote:
>
>> i like
>>
>>   File::class_method
>>
>>   File.instance_method
>

> The problem with that is that both are valid calling sequences for class
> methods. If I'd used the following in the book
>
>  String.split
>
> I'll get lots of email saying "when I type String.split it doesn't work"
>
> I toyed for a while with the Smalltalk-like  a_string.split, but that's ugly
> and confusing. It's what I use in the library reference, because I set up the
> context for a_string in the description of the constructor. However, I just
> don't think it would work in narrative body text.

hmm.  how about this for convention

   String.new.split  # instance method
   String.split      # class method

it's true that 'AClass.new.a_method' may or may not be excutable code - but
neither is AClass#a_method.

in any case i think a convention that plays well in the shell with ri would be
a nice addition to the uber convention setter that is the pickaxe ;-)

cheers.

-a
--
we can deny everything, except that we have the possibility of being better.
simply reflect on that.