Perl, Python, and Ruby are all awesome languages.  Perl has saved my
Behind several times, Python has expanded the way I think and approach
Programming, and Ruby has recently gained my interest for a large
Project I'm considering.

For me it's purely about getting paid, err, getting the job done.
Having fun is second but important no less.

What draws me to Ruby more than Python (which is one of the coolest
Languages) is the *community* of Ruby users.  What draws me to
Ruby over Perl, is the same thing that draws me to Python over Perl,
the semantics and syntactical clarity.

Perl is great if you are prototyping for a project that will
eventually
end up in C because they are fairly similar and porting from Perl=>C,
syntactically, is generally pretty easy.  Perl is also cool if you are
feeling lazy; as there seems to exist a Perl extension for just about
everything you're likely to be getting paid for.

For me, one language is never enough.  I do 95% of my work in C++, but
for everything else these Perl, Python, and recently Ruby.

Ruby's user base is the coolest and most practical I've seen so far.
The user base, more than the Language, is doing it for me; I can
accomplish %99.999 of my tasks in Perl, Python, or Ruby.  I never seem
to be in that gray area where
feature X only offered in language Y is making or breaking my project.
 All three offer more features than what my tasks require.  I'm more
limited by the libraries than by the languages.

Concluding that one language is my favorite because it has feature X
over another language would be like saying I like the Raiders more
than the Forty Niners because they have better popcorn at their home
field concession stands.

The Ruby userbase is much more friendly and more helpful than the
other groups I have spent time following, hence the language is
becoming more
interesting because I enjoy what I can give and take from the language
more than the others.

So yes, maybe it is a personality thing, for me--it's a personality
thing more with the community than with the language.

//ed