Thanks for the help.  I got nmake installed in the c:\ruby\bin
directory.  I then went to the directory where the application was
downloaded to: c:\ruby\win32serial and ran nmake.  It appeared to work.
 I then did the following which I'll paste below.  Notice at the end I
get an error and the code appears to stop.

C:\ruby\win32serial>nmake makefile

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility   Version 1.50
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights reserved.

'makefile' is up-to-date

C:\ruby\win32serial>makefile
'makefile' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\ruby\win32serial>nmake install

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility   Version 1.50
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights reserved.

        cl -nologo -I. -Ic:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32
-Ic:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 -I. -
MD -Zi -O2b2xg- -G6  -c -Tcrb_serial_wrapper.c
'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code
'0x1'
Stop.

I"m using ruby 1.8.5.  Is there should I be trying to install to a
particular directory/path??