I tried that with no luck.  Wondering, should I be extracting to a
certain directory?  I'm just extracting the files to my c:ruby
directory.   The extraction tool actually puts them in
c:\ruby\win32serial.   I run the extconf.rb file and get "creating
makefile"  so that appears to work.  But after that I'm in trouble
doing a make or nmake.  Should there be more the the command 'make'
like ruby or a directory designation?