libsfan01 wrote:
> My reason for wanting to uninstall is that ive tried to install the
> latest version but terminal is still telling me that the version is
> 1.8.2 not 1.8.5 that i downloaded, so it must have gotten messed up
> somewhere right?
>

> libsfan01 wrote:
>
>> hi all
>>

>> in trying to uninstall the mac version of ruby how can i do this?

No, don't uninstall the version of Ruby that comes with OS X.  That
version is installed in the /usr/bin directory. When you installed Ruby
yourself, you probably installed it (assuming you built it from source
and took the defaults) in /usr/local/bin. All you have to do is make
sure your $PATH variable has /usr/local/bin preceding /usr/bin. When you
execute the "ruby" command OS X will search the directories in the order
listed by $PATH and will find your ruby in /usr/local/bin.

Check it out like this. Enter this command:

/usr/bin/ruby -v

You'll probably get "ruby 1.8.2". Then enter:

/usr/local/bin/ruby -v

You'll probably get "ruby 1.8.5"

Of course, if you specified another prefix when you ran the configure
script, or if you installed Ruby from MacPorts or fink, then Ruby is
installed in a different directory.

For more information about PATH, do a "man bash" in an OS X terminal window.