I realize this is an extremely noobish question, but i'm stuck and can't
seem to figure it out (aside from some very simple HTML, i know nothing
about programming).

I'm trying to follow Chris Pine guide here:
http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/?Chapter=04

I'm trying this question he suggested:
??? Write a program which asks for a person's favorite number. Have your
program add one to the number, then suggest the result as a bigger and
better favorite number. (Do be tactful about it, though.)

This is what i have, but it's not working:

puts 'What is your favorite number?'
number = gets
puts 'That is a good number, but ' + (number.to_i + 1) + ' is better!'

However, if i remove the (number.to_i + 1) from that line, it prints out
the text just fine. And if i remove the text, so the line is only:

puts number.to_i + 1

I get the correct results. But if i try to combine the two, i get:
TypeError: cannot convert Fixnum into String

method +  in untitled document at line 3
at top level  in untitled document at line 3

I'm using Textmate if that matters.