On Jan 20, 2007, at 2:28 PM, dblack / wobblini.net wrote:
> Right, but I don't see that relationship as the same as what we
> usually call "receiver", which is part of the dynamic process of an
> object actually receiving a certain message.

Yes, but there are two different messages being sent to two different
receivers.  It is similar to a proxy pattern. The proxied object
is still a receiver of a message (from the proxy object).

m = -1.method('abs')
m.call

m is the receiver of 'call'
'call' is the name of the method sent to m

-1 is the receiver of 'abs'
'abs' is the name of the method sent to -1

m.name	   # 'abs'
m.receiver # -1
m.origin   # Fixnum

Perhaps bound_name and bound_receiver makes the relationship clearer?
I would still prefer the shorter names as it doesn't seem anomalous to
me or at least no more anomalous than any other 'proxy' pattern.

Gary Wright