I've tried RDE but once again run code window doesn't work. This is the
program that is breaking all the editors:

-----------------------------------
puts 'LEAP YEAR CALCULATOR'
puts 'Enter the start year'
startyear = gets.chomp.to_i
puts ' '
puts 'Enter the end year'
endyear = gets.chomp.to_i
puts ' '
puts 'The leap years between the years you have entered are:'

while startyear <= endyear
  if startyear%4 == 0 and startyear%100 != 0 or startyear%400 == 0
#using modulus method %, which returns the remainder when the first
number is divided by the second
#using the == sign (is this equal), which is different from the = sign
(which is an assigning one to the other)
  puts startyear
  end
  startyear = startyear + 1
end
-----------------------------------

This short program requires you to enter two years and then it outputs
all the leapyears between them. After hitting F5 in RDE for the above
code I get:

1985
2006
LEAP YEAR CALCULATOR
Enter the start year

Enter the end year

The leap years between the years you have entered are:
1988
1992
1996
2000
2004

The dates are entered before the puts statements? The prompt in the code
working pane immediately after hitting F5 is [EOF], not LEAP YEAR
CALCULATOR Enter the start year? Dunno what [EOF] means?

It's more than likely I'm doing something wrong here but straight out of
the box RDE does not execute gets and puts correctly, or at least not in
the right order.

Can anyone test the above code and tell me it works in their Ruby editor
as it would from the dos prompt with c:\ruby program.rb?

RDE looks similar to FreeRIDE. Has all the same stuff and the same
shortfalls. Both programs do not allow you to change all the panes to a
black background, not just the code edit window. If this is the case it
defeats the purpose of having a black background because a half white
half black screen is more annoying than an all white screen. The purpose
of a black screen is to ease the glare on the eyes. RDE does not have an
"convert to black background" button, but neither has any editor I've
come across so far.

I'm more than happy to be corrected on any of these points - I am a
newbie. In fact I want to be corrected becuase if I'm wrong I've found
my editor.