Mark Haliday wrote:

> Had DHH written Rails for Python I think we'd see Python now the defacto
> king of scripting languages.  That didn't happen obviously.  Rails is
> Ruby's killer framework and I think has done more to promote Ruby than
> any other thing.

I don't share this opinion.  I think Ruby (maybe more slowly) would of
continued to grow regardless of what happened with Rails.  A few years
back (well before rails) I decided to add a more dynamic/scripting
language to my toolbox.  I spent several months with Python and then
tried Ruby and never looked back.  The same things that made DHH choose
Ruby would of kept grabbing the attention of other programmers even if
he hadn't noticed it.