I need an embedded scripting language.

Lua was the first one that jumped into my head, even though I know very
little about the language, other than the fact that games often embed it.

I work with C++, but ruby is my language of choice.  So I would prefer
to embed ruby, as I just like the language in general.

The main consideration, is that the embedded interpreter be very
lightweight, and fast.

API richness would not really be an issue, as most lot of the
functionality of the scripts would come from the C++ the vm interpreter
was embedded in.

When it comes to embedding 'Io' sounds great.  But the syntax looks like
ass...

Thought? tips?

~S