Well I have written a small script to read from stdin and guess what, it
just sits and does nothing!! I guess I must of got it wrong! Here is
small snip-it
   @number = $stdin.each_with_index do |line, index|
        printf "%4d %s", index, line
        end

which is just the same as roberts code. I have a question, the bar code
reader is connected to a usb port, do I still use stdin (or is this just
for the keyboard?)

how do I redirect the input to my code?

I'm sorry to be asking basic questions but I am new to ruby.

Adrian