On Jan 16, 2007, at 7:56 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> Parragh Szabolcs wrote:
>> I even tried:
>>
>> $ wget http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/16451/rubygems-
>> update-0.9.1.gem
>> $ gem install rubygems-update-0.9.1.gem
>> Successfully installed rubygems-update, version 0.9.1
>> $ gem -v                              0.9.0
> I got the same thing -- I think you have to run something else
> after you install the rubygems-update gem. I ended up downloading
> the tarball from RubyForge and installing it directly. That worked
> and I'm now on RubyGems 0.9.1.

To be clear, because of rubygems poisoning indexing has been turned
off. Until gem indexing is back on, you must manually download and
install the gem updater. The basic steps are:

% wget http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/16451/rubygems-
update-0.9.1.gem
% sudo gem install rubygems-update-0.9.1.gem
% sudo update_rubygems
% sudo gem pristine --all

If you miss any of those steps, then things will (obviously) go
wrong. If you don't have rubygems installed, or your version is <
0.8.5, then you can't use those steps and must do a full install.