On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 10:53:29AM +0900, Jos Backus wrote:

> Is anybody interested in working with me on updating ruby-DBI to support
> SQLite3?  I need it in order to ward off the evil P-monster (both!) at work.

There already exists two implementations of a SQLite3 dbd that I'm aware
of.  Neither are actively maintained as far as I know, they were posted
to the ruby-dbi mailing list sometime (I found them on Google, was never
a subscriber myself).

Anyways, the more featureful of the two has been packaged in Debian for
some time now.  Over the summer I made a few improvements to it,
including adding transaction support.  I procrastinated way too long in
getting the patch in the Debian package, but I sent it in a little over
a week ago, and it has since been committed.

If you're running debian, install package libdbd-sqlite3-ruby1.8.
Otherwise download:

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libd/libdbi-ruby/libdbi-ruby_0.1.1.orig.tar.gz
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libd/libdbi-ruby/libdbi-ruby_0.1.1-4.diff.gz

The patch contains the SQLite3 dbd with transaction support.

Also, be aware that the SQLite3 dbd requires the sqlite3-ruby library.
I also recently sent some patches to Debian that fix a few issues when
using the SQLite3 dbd, namely when binding variables to a prepared
statement.

The sqlite3-ruby changes are available in the libsqlite3-ruby1.8
package, or from:

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/sqlite3-ruby/sqlite3-ruby_1.1.0.orig.tar.gz
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/sqlite3-ruby/sqlite3-ruby_1.1.0-4.diff.gz

It also appears that these changes have made it back into sqlite3-ruby
upstream in the 1.2.0 release that came out just a few days ago.
However, I've not had a chance to verify that the dbd works properly
with that version (and I probably won't be able to for some time).

In fact, if you try sqlite3-ruby 1.2.0, I'd appreciate knowing
if everything seems to work OK with it.

Good luck!